Associated Regions


Gaelic football was active in Cleggan from the beginning of the 1900s but was mainly based on local matches between the town-lands. Cleggan were active as a club for many years with recorded statistics dating back to the 1930s. Their main success was winning the West Final of 1947 but they were defeated by Athenry in the county semi-final on a score of 3-4 to 0-3. The captain was Páidín Walsh from Cleggan. [Read more]


The Roundstone/Cashel area was active Gaelic football wise going back to the early 1900s. This activity mainly involved local competitions between Roundstone, Cashel, Recess and Carna. The Roundstone club was first officially formed in 1938 and was reformed in 1947. One of the first events to be promoted by the club was a seven-a-side tournament played at Gurteen. [Read more]


With Ballyconneely the capital of Connemara before and immediately after the Famine with a population of just under five thousand people, it was only natural that games were played at an early date. Some folklore exists of Blake’s Estate competing with other estates in the 1800s. Town-land football was very active at the beginning of the 1900s and also matches played against Clifden. [Read more]


Football was played in Kingstown from an early date but generally players played with Clifden town. Kingstown formed a team in 1937 and competed in the Mongan Cup for a number of years. One of their famous players was Paddy Davin who played senior and junior for Galway in the 1950s. He was on the Galway All-Ireland winning junior team of 1958 and played against Galway for Herefordshire in the Junior Final of 1965 which Galway won. [Read more]


Inishbofin has a long G.A.A. history of football activity on the island. A lot of internal competitions were held in the early 1930s. At that time there were three teams on the east side alone. Numbers reduced dramatically during and after the Second World War. [Read more]


Football was played in Recess at town-land level dating back to the early part of the 1900s. It is not until 1938, however, that records are available when Recess entered the Mongan Cup in their own right. The area used for training was in front of where the quarry is today. [Read more]